If lack of sleep is your problem, here are a few things to try, according to experts in the Center for Sleep Medicine at Bridgeport Hospital:
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine.
- Avoid fluids in the 4-5 hours before going to sleep.
- Do not eat or drink heavily before bedtime.
- Exercise regularly, preferably six hours or more before bedtime.
- Try a relaxing routine, take a leisurely warm bath before bedtime.
- Keep your bedroom dark, quiet, and at a comfortable temperature.
- Do not go to bed until you are ready to sleep.
- Establish a regular bedtime and regular morning wakeup times, 7 days / week.
- Do not work or watch TV in bed.
If none of these sleep tips works for you, it might be time to ask your doctor if you may have a sleep disorder that could be diagnosed and treated through specialized sleep testing.
For advice, talk to your physician, or call the Center for Sleep Medicine at Bridgeport Hospital, 203-384-3817.