Medication reconciliation is an important element of Epic, providing a more consistent process that helps avoid medication errors, such as omissions, duplications, incorrect dosing or drug interactions.
The process is recommended on inpatient admission, transfer of care level and discharge, and should be followed at every transition of care where new medications are ordered or existing orders are rewritten. It includes five steps:
- Developing a list of current medications
- Developing a list of medications to be prescribed
- Comparing the two medication lists
- Making clinical decisions based on the comparison
- Communicating the new list to appropriate caregivers and the patient
A fact sheet detailing each step is available in all ambulatory
care settings and physician practices.