The Patient Family Advisory Council (PFAC) was established in September 2009. The purpose of the PFAC is to encourage and facilitate the patient/family perspective and voice in the Hospital's organizational decision making. The Council is comprised of patients, family members, and hospital staff working in partnership to assure delivery of the highest standard of comprehensive and compassionate care.
The concept of patient-centered care is based on the belief that health care can be improved by building more effective partnerships among patients, families and healthcare providers. This belief is the bedrock of the PFAC’s mission, which is to assist in guiding Bridgeport Hospital’s priorities and planning as it moves towards patient-centered care, and to support the Hospital and its practitioners in creating and sustaining an environment that:
- Understands and respects patients’ personal preferences and values, their family situations and their lifestyles;
- Gives patients and their families the opportunity to make choices about many aspects of their care by involving them as part of the care team and collaborating with healthcare professionals in making clinical decisions;
- Puts responsibility for important aspects of self-care and monitoring in patients’ hands along with the tools and support they need;
- Ensures that transactions between providers, departments and healthcare settings are respectful, coordinated and efficient; and
- Builds a positive relationship between Bridgeport Hospital and members of the community.
Participation as a member of this Council gives members a voice in the process as Bridgeport Hospital continues its evolution toward an increasingly patient-centered care delivery system. If you or a family member have been a patient of Bridgeport Hospital and wish to participate as a member of this dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit it via our website or print and complete the attached application and mail to:
267 Grant Street
Bridgeport, CT 06610