|Bridgeport Hospital observed Nurses Week with a series of activities and recognition events from May 5 to May 11. The hospital is the workplace for more than 600 nurses who perform a variety of roles in both direct patient care and support operations. This year’s Nurses Week theme was “Advocating, Leading, Caring.”|
“Our nurses are passionate about their profession and committed to patient- and family-centered care,” says Senior Vice President for Patient Care Operations, MaryEllen Kosturko, a nurse who rose through the ranks to become the hospital’s chief nursing officer. “Our nurses touch the lives of patients, families and colleagues in countless ways. I thank them for the care they provide around the clock.”
The week began with nurses taking part in a community service clean-up project at Bridgeport’s Seaside Park on May 5. Other activities at the hospital included an awards ceremony on May 9, and complimentary chair massages and gift distribution to the patient care staff on other days of the week.
More than a dozen nurses were recognized during the awards ceremony, including:
• Gloria Belida of Trumbull, Ahlbin Centers Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit – William H. Baird Award
• Roberta Ceccarelli of Shelton, Information Technology Services – Barbara Hunstein Award
• Susan Cole of Bridgeport, Oncology Unit – Donald Walsh Award
• Pam D’Ambrosio of Monroe, Surgical ICU – Cardiothoracic Surgery Award
• Melissa Emanuel of Stratford, The Connecticut Burn Center – Bridgeport Hospital Foundation Spirit of Volunteerism Award
• Cathy Martinez of Stratford, Surgical ICU – Neuroscience Award
• Adriana Palella of Bridgeport, Emergency Department – Emergency Department Award
• Karen Parniawski of Stratford, Psychiatry – Psychiatric Nursing Award
• Karen Reyes-Benzi of East Haven, Oncology Unit– Karen Oddie Avellino Award
• Terri Santacroce of Wallingford, Internal Medicine Unit – Greater Bridgeport Medical Association Award
• Bill Sotire of Fairfield, Pulmonary Medicine Unit– Nursing Excellence Award
• Aldona Twomey of Trumbull, SurgEase Ambulatory Surgery Center – Mary Cortellini Award
• Sandy Welsh of Seymour, Yale New-Haven Children’s at Bridgeport Hospital – Georgieanne Hiznay Award
Kosturko, who presided over the ceremony, praised nurses for their skill, compassion and dedication to patient care.
“All the nurses in this room have made me proud,” added hospital President and CEO Bill Jennings.
In addition, 12 Bridgeport Hospital nurses were honored for receiving Florence Nightingale Awards for Excellence in Nursing at a regional reception on May 10 at Stamford’s Hilton Hotel. They are Rula Eid of Trumbull, Major Surgery Unit; Kim Falsetti of Shelton, Patient Care Services; Astrid Garcia of Shelton, Endoscopy Suite; Andrea Januski of Stratford, Patient Care Services; Lee Ann Jimmie of Shelton, Performance Management Department; Candace Maffei of Danbury, Geriatric Psychiatry Unit; Jacinta Mericnyak of Shelton, Resource Support Unit; Carol Sheridan of Stratford, MedEase Ambulatory Medicine Unit; Caren Silhavey of Stratford, Bridgeport Hospital School of Nursing; Lillie Toni of Stratford, Emergency Department; Marlene Pressoir of Stratford, Labor & Delivery Unit; and Mary Toohey-Repko of Stratford, Major Surgery Unit.