Frequently Asked Questions About Our Nursing Program

Can I go to school part-time?
Lecture, lab, and clinical hours are usually four full days a week. On Level 1 (first year) school days are primarily Tuesday through Friday. On Level 2 (second year) school days are primarily Monday through Thursday. School days are subject to change.

Do you have an evening program?
Yes. A Partial Evening Program is offered for the first academic year. Only clinical and lab hours are offered evenings. Students in this program are required to move to the day division at the beginning of the second level.

How long is the program?
The curriculum is composed of two levels and follows an academic calendar with a five week course between the first and second year. The traditional course of study is 69 weeks in length over a two year program with graduation in May of the second year.

BHSN also offers an accelerated program for qualifying students who wish to graduate one semester early.

Level 1: Level 2:
NU101 and NU102 run September to December. NU201 runs during May.
NU104 and NU105 run January-April. NU202 and NU203 run September to December.
NU204 and NU205 run January to Early May.

Students who enrolled in the accelerated program take NU202 & NU203 from June through August and NU204 & NU205 from September through December and graduate in December.

Do I take the non-nursing courses at Bridgeport Hospital School of Nursing?
No. Only the Nursing courses are offered at the school.

Where can I take the non-nursing prerequisite and co-requisite courses?
You can take the courses at most colleges. We work closely with Housatonic Community College, so the non-nursing courses listed in our catalog are named and numbered according to HCC courses. However, you may take the equivalent courses at another school. If I already have a degree or some college courses, can I transfer those credits to BHSN? Yes. As long as you have earned a "C" grade or better, equivalent courses will be accepted as part of the Diploma requirements at BHSN.

Is there a time limit on transferable courses?
Science courses must not be older than 7 years. Exceptions to this will be considered on a case by case basis by the Admissions Committee. There is no time limit on any of the other courses.

Must all the non-nursing courses be completed before I begin the nursing courses?
There are only two courses that must be completed before beginning nursing courses: Chemistry with a lab (taken in high school or at the college level within 7 years) and English Composition. However, because the nursing courses are intense, we strongly recommend that students take the majority of their non-nursing courses before they actually begin nursing courses. This is especially true for Anatomy and Physiology I and II (4 credits each).

Can you explain the Diploma vs. Associate Degree in Nursing?
There are three educational paths to become a Registered Nurse. A Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is a four-year degree. An Associate Degree in Nursing is a 2-3 year educational commitment where the non-nursing courses and nursing courses are usually offered at a community college. The Diploma in Nursing is a course of study, usually in a hospital based setting. All three allow the graduate to take the same NCLEX examination. This is a national exam that is required for Registered Nurse licensure.

Is there an advantage to one educational path over another?
Salary, job opportunities, and educational advancement for the Associate Degree and the Diploma graduate are comparable. The diploma program focuses more on the direct care in the acute care setting. Most entry-level jobs as a RN will accept all three educational preparations. Some jobs may require experience as a RN and a BSN.

Can you explain the Associate Degree option to me?
As stated above, all nursing courses are taken at BHSN and non-nursing courses are transferred in from a college or university. BHSN has a partnership with Housatonic Community College. If a student takes an additional 3 credit course (ENG*E102) and has taken at least 16 of the non-nursing credits at HCC, graduates from BHSN and passes the NCLEX, they will receive a Diploma in Nursing AND an Associate of Science Degree in Nursing. Students who take the non-nursing courses elsewhere will receive a Diploma in Nursing from BHSN. Both the Associate Degree and the Diploma allow the graduate to become a RN. The Associate Degree is an option some students choose.

Will any of these credits transfer into a Bachelor Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program?
Yes. 30 nursing credits and 30 non-nursing credits are transferable to any BSN program in the state according to the Connecticut Articulation Model for Nursing Education. This is true for all Diploma and Associate Degree graduates.

What is Financial Aid?
Financial aid is a general term used to describe all of the various grant, loan and scholarship programs available to help pay for the cost of your education. When you apply for financial aid, many factors are taken into consideration in order to determine the financial assistance you will receive. Income, taxes, family size, and assets are some of the factors used to determine your eligibility for need-based aid. Merit-based aid is awarded without regard to financial need. The Financial Aid office will coordinate your financial aid from the available sources, determine your financial aid package and mail your award letter.

What are the Financial Aid deadlines?
All applications for financial aid should be mailed to the Federal Government by May 1 for students enrolling in September and November 1 for students enrolling in January. Financial aid applications received after that date are always welcome, but are given second consideration based on the availability of funds.

Bridgeport Hospital School of Nursing assists students to meet the cost of their education by combining resources of its own with Federal financial aid programs. The primary responsibility for financing the cost of education belongs primarily to the student and their family. However, BHSN offers financial aid to students who have financial need, according to the Federal need analysis. The financial aid package may include grants, scholarships or loans in various combinations. Any information provided to the Financial Aid office is treated with confidentiality and used only to determine need and award of aid.

Do you require a pre-admission or entrance exam?
Yes. As part of the application process you will be required to submit an official TEAS score. TEAS stands for —Test of Essential Academic Skills.

  • TEAS exams must have been taken after January 1, 2009.
  • BHSN will hold several TEAS examination dates throughout the application period. You will be given an opportunity to sign up for one after your application is submitted.
  • You may take the TEAS at BHSN only once during each application period.
  • TEAS retakes must be at least 45 days apart. If you elect to retake the TEAS, BHSN should be notified in writing (email is fine) within 7 days of receipt of your first score. If your file is otherwise complete, the admission review begins with the receipt of your TEAS score. We will count the highest score.