When assessment reveals that an older adult requires treatment for a psychiatric condition, the Center for Geriatrics collaborates with the Department of Psychiatry. Your loved one may benefit from the intensive treatment provided through our geriatric psychiatric outpatient services (REACH Program) and or our geriatric psychiatric inpatient services. For more information, please call the REACH Program at 203-384-3377.
For some older adults, treating the common concerns of aging is complicated by psychiatric conditions and/or substance abuse. Bridgeport Hospital's REACH Program provides intensive outpatient treatment that can help.
The Partial Hospital Program (PHP) and Intensive-Outpatient Program (IOP)
REACH offers two adult programs: The Partial Hospital Program and the Intensive-Outpatient Program
- The Partial Hospital Program provides structured daily treatment Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. — 1:30 p.m.
- Intensive-Outpatient Program patients are seen three to four times per week, 9:30 a.m. — 1:30 p.m.
In either program, patients are placed in an Older Adult Track, designed specifically for those who are facing the mental health issues that may arise as we grow older. Treatment includes group and family therapy involving
- stress- and anxiety-management
- medication and medical self-management
- substance abuse support
- behavioral and memory support
- Separation and loss support
When assessment reveals that an older adult needs hospital care, and that his or her mental health condition requires close, constant supervision, Bridgeport Hospital provides care in our Geriatric Psychiatric Inpatient Program.