|Late Fall 2011|
|By Popular Demand…New England Apple Crisp|
Bridgeport Hospital’s Fall 2011 Heart Institute Newsletter featured the recipe below. The feedback was fantastic, so we’re pleased to share it with Healthy & Wise readers too. Enjoy!
- 4 large, peeled, thinly sliced McIntosh apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Toss sliced apples with lemon juice, cinnamon and syrup in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine topping ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Grease a 9” x 13” baking dish, and spread the apple mixture across the bottom of the pan.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Spread the topping evenly over the apples and return the baking dish to the oven. Bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes uncovered at 350 degrees until topping is crisp
Makes 8 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving
269 calories, 8.7 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrates, 6.3 g dietary fiber, 5.9 g protein