How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for most financial aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This form is used to determine federal and school aid. The FAFSA is available online at

I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply anyway?

Yes. Many students mistakenly think they don't qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by failing to apply for it. All students typically have eligibility for some form of financial aid whether it is grants, scholarships, or loans. There is no good excuse for not applying.
What is the school code for Bridgeport Hospital School of Nursing to ensure that the FAFSA information is received by our school?
The federal school code is 006181

What types of financial aid do I apply for when I complete this application?

By completing the application, you are applying for all forms of federal financial aid, including PELL Grant, SEOG Grant, and Direct Federal Student and PLUS loans.

How do I apply for a Scholarship at Bridgeport Hospital School of Nursing?

BHSN offers nursing students scholarships during the spring semester. There is no separate application necessary. All nursing students enrolled are considered for these scholarships.

How do I apply for a student loan?

When you submit the FAFSA, you should indicate that you are interested in receiving a student loan. If you did not indicate your interest or have changed your mind since you filed, you should contact the Financial Aid Office so we can note your aid preferences in your file. If you are eligible, a loan will automatically be awarded to you. You will be notified through the Financial Aid Office once your student aid offer is available and will be given instructions on how to proceed from there.

Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid at BHSN?

No. You can apply for financial aid any time after January 1. To actually receive funds, however, you must be accepted and enrolled at BHSN.

Is there a deadline for applying for financial aid at Bridgeport Hospital School of Nursing?

No, however the sooner you apply, the sooner you will know what you will be receiving in the form of aid from the school.

How much financial aid can I receive?

It will depend on your and your parents' (if applicable) Income, living expenses, assets and savings. This is called the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Your eligibility is also determined by the cost of attendance at the institution you select. The FAFSA will determine your financial need from this information and will send a report to the schools you indicated. The amount of financial aid you are eligible to receive is determined by subtracting the EFC from the total price of a specific school.

What does the EFC number mean on my financial aid award package?

The data reported on your FAFSA is used to calculate the EFC value. This value is used to determine your federal aid eligibility. BHSN uses this value as a guideline for determining your aid eligibility. The federal EFC value is not your out-of-pocket cost to attend the school.

How long after I file the FAFSA will I know what aid I am receiving?

Once you have been accepted and all required forms and applications are submitted, it takes approximately four weeks for the information to be received by Bridgeport Hospital School of Nursing. Another two weeks is required for us to process the information and, where necessary, request and receive additional information from students and parents.

What is a financial aid package?

A financial aid package is a combination of the different types of aid available at BHSN that is awarded to a student based on the information filled out on the FAFSA. This can include federal grants and student loans. The total amount of aid awarded is based on the student's demonstrated need for a given year. Students must file the FAFSA each year to qualify for assistance.

How will my aid be disbursed to me?

All financial aid awarded will be credited to your student account. Once your charges have been paid (tuition and fees), any additional money will be refunded to you for use in paying for other educational needs and living expenses. This process can take up to 30 days or more depending on your grade level.

Who do I call to check on my financial aid status?

If you filed your FAFSA more than four weeks ago and still have not received a Student Aid Report (SAR), contact the Federal Student Aid Processing Center at 1-(800) 433-3243. If you have received your copy of the SAR sent to you from the U.S. Department of Education, contact the Financial Aid Office at 203-384-3202. We will be able to tell you if our office has also received a copy of your SAR.

What do I do if I am chosen for verification?

Your SAR will indicate whether the U.S. Department of Education has chosen you for verification with the inclusion of the statement, "Your school will ask you to provide copies of certain financial documents for you and/or your parent(s)." Please be prepared to provide BHSN Financial Aid Office certain signed federal tax documents and other information as requested. You and/or your parents (for dependent students) will also need to complete certain verification documents. You will be notified regarding which forms must be submitted.

How much loan money can I borrow?

First year independent students can borrow up to $9,500. First year dependent students can borrow up to $5,500. Second year independent students can borrow $10,500. Second year dependent students can borrow up to $6,500 per year.

What factors make a student "independent"?

A student is considered independent if the student meets one of the following criteria:
    • is married
    • 24 years of age
    • has children for whom one-half of support is provided
    • is a veteran
    • is an orphan or ward of the court
    • is a graduate student (BHSN is not a graduate or professional program)
    • How will my student loan be disbursed from the Department of Education?

When the Department of Education receives a completed and signed promissory note from the student, it will disburse the funds to BHSN through electronic funds transfer. The disbursement of a student loan is typically received at the beginning of each semester during the loan period for which it is awarded. The exception is first year students, whose funds cannot be disbursed until 30 days into the fall semester only.

What is the difference between a Subsidized and an Unsubsidized Federal Student Loan?

The federal government pays the interest on a Subsidized Student Loan while the student is enrolled in school on at least a half-time basis. If you receive an Unsubsidized Student Loan, the federal government does not pay the interest on the loan. With the Unsubsidized Student Loan, the student can choose to pay the interest or permit it to capitalize, meaning that earned interest is added to the principle of the loan during repayment.

What is “loan counseling”, an “entrance interview” or “entrance counseling session?”

All of these terms refer to the same thing. The federal government requires all first-time student loan borrowers to participate in loan entrance counseling prior to receiving a Federal Student Loan. During this session, you will review basic facts about loans, managing your education expenses and your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower. You can participate in loan counseling at

How do I receive my refund?

All student refunds will be processed through the Financial Aid and Accounting offices and mailed directly to the student at the address he/she provided in SONIS. This process can take from 10-14 days to process.

What will happen if I withdraw from all my courses?

Students withdrawing from BHSN during the refund period that have received federal financial aid may have to return a portion of that aid to the financial aid programs from which the aid was disbursed. The method of returning funds is calculated using current federal financial aid refund policies in conjunction with BHSN’s refund policy. (Student Handbook p. 15) This calculation may result in the student owing money to the school or to the federal aid program from which he/she received funds.