The Section of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine maitains an active clinical research effort. Our fellows are expected to participate actively in the ongoing research of the Section and are encouraged to generate their own ideas for research projects. Recent and ongoing areas of investigation include: ARDS, sepsis, and various topics related to Sleep Medicine. There are also a nubmer of quality improvement projects underway.
The fellows are required to produce an abstract that is presented at a national meeting, a manuscript for publication in a peer-reviewed journal, or a review article suitable for publication in a peer-reviewed journal. Within the last two weeks of their fellowship training, each fellow will present their research activity to the Section in the form of a Grand Rounds type presentation.
Recent publications of the Section include:
- Fortis S, Kittah J, De Aguirre M, Plataki M, Wolff A, Amoateng-Adjepong Y, Manthous CA. Perseverant, non-indicated treatment of obese patients for obstructive lung disease. BMC Pulm Med. 2013 Nov 22;13:68. doi: 10.1186/1471-2466-13-68. PubMed PMID: 24266961.
- Chanda A, Kwon JS, Wolff AJ, Manthous CA. Positive pressure for obesity hypoventilation syndrome. Pulm Med. 2012;2012:568690. doi: 10.1155/2012/568690. Epub 2012 Oct 11. PubMed PMID: 23094151; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3475306.
- Odigie-Okon E, Jordan B, Dijeh S, Wolff A, Dadu R, Lall P, Zarich S, Amoateng-Adjepong Y, Manthous CA. Cardiac injury in patients with COPD presenting with dyspnea: a pilot study. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2010 Nov 9;5:395-9. PubMed PMID: 21103406; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2981154
- Bansal A, Chawla M, Cohen PJ, Kwon JS. Pleural epithelioid hemangioendothelioma. Lung. 2012 Aug;190(4):469-70. doi: 10.1007/s00408-012-9377-9. Epub 2012 Mar 6. PubMed PMID: 22392541. 5: Arias SA, Cohen P, Kwon JS. Clozapine-induced lymphocytic alveolitis. Am J Psychiatry. 2011 Feb;168(2):210-1. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2010.10101494. PubMed PMID: 21297049.
- Kaufman DA, Ravi S, Dadu R, Horowitz D, Logue MA. Severe hypoxemia and orthodeoxia following right pneumonectomy. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011 Dec 1;184(11):e1-2. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201012-1950IM. PubMed PMID: 22162892.
- Vazquez R, Gheorghe C, Kaufman D, Manthous CA. Accuracy of bedside physical examination in distinguishing categories of shock: a pilot study. J Hosp Med. 2010 Oct;5(8):471-4. doi: 10.1002/jhm.695. PubMed PMID: 20945471.
- Tian J, Kaufman DA, Zarich S, Chan PS, Ong P, Amoateng-Adjepong Y, Manthous CA; American Heart Association National Registry for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Investigators. Outcomes of critically ill patients who received cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010 Aug 15;182(4):501-6. doi: 10.1164/rccm.200910-1639OC. Epub 2010 Apr 22. PubMed PMID: 20413625.
- Feng Y, Amoateng-Adjepong Y, Kaufman D, Gheorghe C, Manthous CA. Age, durationof mechanical ventilation, and outcomes of patients who are critically ill. Chest. 2009 Sep;136(3):759-64. doi: 10.1378/chest.09-0515. PubMed PMID: 19736189.
- Fortis S, Florindez J, Balasingham S, Aguirre MD, Amoateng-Adjepong Y, Manthous CA. Ventilator Settings Can Substantially Impact Patients' Comfort. J Intensive Care Med. 2014 Jan 19. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24446238.