Why Bridgeport Hospital for Maternity
Having a baby is one of life's most precious moments. At Bridgeport Hospital our skilled team of maternity specialists work in partnership with your obstetrician to provide exceptional care to you and your baby. Advanced technologies and access to physicians who specialize in high-risk pregnancies and newborn care are available to you. That’s why so many expecting parents trust Bridgeport Hospital for the delivery of their baby.
The Birthplace at Bridgeport Hospital offers:
Learn more about The Birthplace
Antenatal Testing Unit
In The Antenatal Testing Unit at Bridgeport Hospital, tests are performed to make sure that babies are staying healthy in the womb.
(Ante = before, natal = birth, so—before birth!)
The Antenatal Testing Unit offers:
- Targeted (Level 2) ultrasound, a safe, non-invasive way to gather detailed information on baby's growth and development.
- Three-dimensional (3D) and four-dimensional (4D) ultrasound, sophisticated technologies that produce a more life-like image of the infant.
- Amniocentesis, in which a needle is used to withdraw some of the amniotic fluid that surrounds the baby, to test for serious birth defects.
- Chorionic villus sampling, in which a sample is taken from the tissue that connects the baby's birth sac to the uterine wall, to test for birth defects.
- Nonstress tests to check on a baby's well-being before it is born. A small monitor is placed on your abdomen to record your baby's heart rate. Your caregivers will use this information to see how the baby is doing and to determine if more testing is needed.
- Genetic counseling to help pregnant parents (or those who wish to become pregnant) make decisions based on their own heredity or any known or possible birth defects.
- Pre-conception counseling to help parents who have had previous pregnancy problems or are at high risk for pregnancy complications.
Visit our Antenatal Testing Unit section