Blood Management Services
Bridgeport Hospital offers bloodless medicine and surgery for patients who choose to avoid blood or blood products for religious or medical reasons. We respect and understand the needs of patients for whom blood transfusions are not an option. We are committed to treat you as a whole person—physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Our dedicated Blood Management Services Team of physicians, nurses, cardiac perfusionists (blood management experts), patient representatives and a program coordinator are specially trained in bloodless medical care. This team works with each patient to understand, respect and meet each patient's needs. Click here for a list of our physicians who practice bloodless medicine in a variety of specialties.
State and federal laws may limit the ability to refuse blood transfusions for minors. If you are thinking about bloodless medicine or surgery for a minor, please talk with your doctor and our Blood Management Services Coordinator.
Broad Range of Services
Bridgeport Hospital provides a broad range of transfusion-free medical and surgical specialties, including:
- Cardiac Surgery
- Ear, Nose & Throat Surgery
- Emergency Medicine
- General Surgery
- Internal Medicine
- Plastic Surgery
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Trauma Surgery
State-of-the-Art Medical Technology
At Bridgeport Hospital, state-of-the-art medical technology makes it possible to provide transfusion-free services. This technology includes:
- Argon Beam Coagulator: coagulates blood during surgery in order to minimize blood loss
- Cell Saver: collects, filters and returns the patient’s blood during surgery
- Electrocautery: uses electrical current to seal tissues and vessels cut during surgery, minimizing blood loss
- Laser (CO2 and Nd:YAG types): used in surgery instead of scalpels (Lasers seal tissue as they cut, reducing blood loss.)
- Recombinant Erythropoietin: stimulates production of red blood cells
- Non-Blood Volume Expanders: enhance circulation and volume of the patient’s own blood