The Smilow Cancer Hospital Care Center offers outpatient radiation oncology services at Bridgeport Hospital's campus at 5520 Park Avenue, in Trumbull. An expert staff works collaboratively with patients and their physicians to develop a comprehensive treatment plan, monitor radiation therapy treatments and adjust treatment as necessary.
Radiation oncology services and specialties include:
- External Beam Radiation Therapy
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- High Dose Rate (HDR) Radiation Therapy for gynecological and partial breast treatments
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Prone Breast Treatments
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)
Prone Breast Treatments
Prone breast treatments deliver radiation to breast cancer patients while lying on their stomach instead of their back, the position for standard treatments. Prone treatment for breast cancer has several potential advantages:
- Tissue Sparing: In the prone position, gravity pulls breast tissue away from the body, which may result in less radiation dose to the heart, lungs and other healthy tissue
- Tumor Targeting: Because of the prone positioning, radiation doses are more evenly delivered
- More Gentle to the Skin: Prone treatment may help reduce skin toxicity and result in fewer skin-related side effects
The extent of the breast cancer and position of the heart and lungs in relation to the treatment field may make prone treatments unsuitable for some patients. Our physicians review each case to determine the right treatment and customize a plan to deliver targeted doses.
Bridgeport Hospital’s radiation oncologists are expert physicians from the Yale School of Medicine and Yale Cancer Center.
All radiation oncology services are available at the Trumbull Radiation Oncology Center, a centrally located suburban setting just off the Merritt Parkway.