When Your Child Needs Surgery
At Bridgeport Hospital, we know that children have special needs when coming to the hospital. We invite parents and children age 3 and older to tour our facility ahead of time and meet our friendly staff. Learn what to expect and how to make your child's SurgEase experience as comfortable and stress-free as possible. To schedule a tour, please call 203-384-3016, 203-384-3782 or 203-339-6417.
Parents should bring their child's favorite toy, bottle, cup, blanket or comfort item. Please limit family members and siblings so that full attention can be given to your child. Please plan to stay at SurgEase during your child's surgery. If possible, please make other accommodations for siblings.
Your Child’s SurgEase Visit
Prior to the Day of the Procedure
- Please be sure your child’s physician lets you know what time your child needs to arrive at Bridgeport Hospital.
- Your child’s doctor will tell you about any pre-operative instructions your child needs to follow.
- If your child has a cold or fever, or any signs of an infection within one week of surgery, let your child’s doctor know.
- Ask your child’s doctor or nurse to explain the procedure to you and your child in child-friendly terms.
- Talk to your child about the hospital and the procedure and allow your child to ask questions and voice his or her concerns. Answer honestly using age-appropriate terminology. Remember, the actual facts may be less scary than what your child might imagine.
- Fasting Guidelines: Children - All solid food, formula and non-human (cow’s) milk must be stopped at least six hours before appointment time. Your child may have clear liquids (water, Pedialyte®, non-pulp juices, soda, clear broth, tea) up until two hours before appointment time. Infants - Formula should be stopped six hours before surgery. Breast milk must be stopped at least four hours before surgery. Infants may be fed clear liquids (water, Pedialyte®, etc.) up until two hours before surgery. All medications except insulin and diuretics may be taken (unless otherwise told by your anesthesiologist).
- Arrange child care for siblings for the entire day in the event that your child may need to stay longer than expected.
Day of the Procedure
- Dress your child in comfortable, loose clothing and flat shoes. Please, no makeup or jewelry.
- If your child wears contact lenses, bring the case so your child can take them out before surgery. Bring your child’s eyeglasses or hearing aid if your child will need them.
- Bring your child’s insurance card to the hospital.
- Please bring a list of your child’s medications to the hospital. Be sure it includes the name of each medication, dosage, the reason for the medication and the date and time of your child’s last dose.
- Please bring a stroller if your child is under 5 years old.
- Have your child bring a favorite toy, blanket, stuffed animal, bottle or cup.
- Your child is welcome to bring his/her MP3 player.
- Your doctor may advise you/your child to bring crutches to the hospital to use after the procedure. Check with your child’s doctor about these arrangements before admission.
- Depending upon the type of procedure, you and your child can expect to spend from three to five hours total in SurgEase. Please remember to arrange child care for siblings for the entire day in the event that your child may need to stay longer than expected.
During the Procedure
- You may stay with your child as long as possible, or until your child goes into the operating room.
- Please plan to stay in SurgEase during your child’s procedure.
- Nursing mothers are welcome to bring a breast pump to express milk in a private area during your child’s procedure.
After the Procedure
- A staff member will bring you to your child in the recovery room so that you will be with your child when he or she wakes up.
- Focus on how well your child did!
If your child cannot make the appointment, please call us at 203-384-3814 or 203-384-3782, 6:30 a.m.-7:00 p.m., Monday-Friday.